The Hazel Bee

May 31, 2005

Help Us Name Our Baby!

As mentioned earlier we are accepting all name suggestions for the new baby, due May 31, 2005. We honestly appreciate your participation and, by way of incentive, would like to offer you this: A CONTEST!

!!! UPDATED !!! Guidelines
Obviously we will name our own baby, but we are looking for any helpful suggestions you might have - this can include your opinion of existing entries. Think of it as a community building experience and the beginning of your participation in the new baby's life.

Names may be submitted via comment to this site or email to Kyle. Please include your name, email, and the name you would like us to give our new baby girl with preferred spelling and meaning (if known).

Duplicate names will not be considered for credit so check the list to see what's there - and there are a few. If you do not wish to add a name but would like to vote for an existing name please be our guest! Keep in mind this is not an actual democratic process. Your vote, though appreciated, is purely recreational.

Submissions and opinions will be accepted through May 5, 2005. From that point on we'll pretty much be on full time baby watch.

The Prize
In addition to the joy of knowing that you will be forever and fondly remembered as the person who named our child you will receive (1) a copy of "Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now" by Linda Rosenkrantz & Pamela Redmond Satran, (2) a wallet-sized portrait of the baby you named mailed to you each month for a year, (3) a commemorative "I Named Their Baby" t-shirt, and, in the possible event of a third Baby George, (4) a seat on the Committee for the Naming of Future Baby Georges or "CoNaFuBaG".

Helpful Hints
In creating our own list we have been drawn to names that fall loosely into the following catagories:

1. Names from nature, art, music or colors...

2. Feminine but not too feminine...

3. Old fashioned but not musty...

4. Have more than one syllable but seldom more than three...

5. Original or at least not terribly popular right now...

6. Meaningful, with positive origins, associations or family connections...

7. Sounds good when followed by George (this is important!)...

8. Sounds good with Hazel

Click below to view the up-to-date list of possible names:

Name Person Submitting Suggestion (meaning)
Ada Amy (prosperous, happy - family name, Kyle's side)
Adele Rebecca Boxwell (noble & serene)
Adeline Karen (noble)
Alexandra Jessica Weber (defender of mankind)
Alice Rebecca Boxwell (truthful)
Alma Amy (soul)
Alva Amy (white)
Amber Colleen (golden orange / semi-precious natural resin)
Amelia Rebecca Boxwell (hardworking)
Annabelle Rebecca Boxwell (gracious + beautiful)
Ariadne Karen (most sacred)
Asa Kyle (Japanese, born in the morning / healer)
Aster Kyle (star)
Astrid Karen (beautiful goddess, divine power)
Audra Lindsay Mitchell (noble strength)
Audrey Karen (noble strength)
Augusta Karen (revered)
Autumn Rebecca Boxwell (season before winter)
Ava Rebecca Boxwell (bearer of good news)
Beatrix Amy (bringer of joy)
Beta / Beata Kyle (divinely blessed)
Bethany Rebecca Boxwell (house of figs)
Brenna Melissa Perry (little drop of water)
Bridget Emma Takizawa (strong)
Bronwen Karen (beautiful & sacred bossom)
Brooke Rebecca Boxwell (brook, stream)
Bryony Karen (vine with small flowers)
Calandra Rebecca Boxwell (singing bird)
California Amy (where we live)
Calista Rebecca Boxwell (most beautiful)
Calla Karen (beauty)
Callia Rebecca Boxwell (beautiful)
Calliope Rebecca Boxwell (beautiful voice)
Calluna Rebecca Boxwell (latin root for "heather" flower)
Camilla Rebecca Boxwell (noble)
Carolina / Caroline Kyle (little & womanly - form of grandmothers' names)
Cassandra Rebecca Boxwell (helper of men)
Cecilia / Cecily / Celia Karen (blind)
Cerulean Joshua Beach-Laputz (blue)
Charlotte Amy (also little & womanly)
Chloe Annie (blooming)
Clara Rebecca Boxwell (clear, bright)
Cleo Rebecca Boxwell (her father's fame)
Clover Rebecca Boxwell (flowering grass)
Cora Rebecca Boxwell (maiden / filled heart)
Coral Josh Deutsch (maiden / filled heart)
Dahlia Karen (flower)
Dara Rebecca Boxwell (compassionate)
Darcy Rebecca Boxwell (dark)
Dawn Rebecca Boxwell (sunrise)
Dorothy (Dotty) Kyle (gift of God / family name, both sides)
Eleanor/ Ella Sarah in Hawaii (light)
Eliana Melissa Perry (God has answered)
Elise Kiki Poynter (consecrated to God)
Eliza Rebecca Boxwell (consecrated to God)
Eloise Rebecca Boxwell (famous warrior)
Emily Rebecca Boxwell (flatterer)
Emma Rebecca Boxwell (flatterer)
Etta Karen (home leader)
Eva (AY vuh) Kiki Poynter (life)
Eve Kyndra (life)
Evie (EH vee) Kiki Poynter (life)
Fern Rebecca Boxwell (daring, adventurous)
Fiona Rebecca Boxwell (fair, white)
Frances Amy (from France - family name, Amy's side)
Gabrielle Laura Morton Curtin (woman of God)
Gemma Kyndra (precious gem)
Ginger Alyssa Nevin (spice / color)
Grace Rebecca Boxwell (graceful)
Harper Rebecca Boxwell (plays the harp / Harper Lee wrote To Kill A Mockingbird, Amy's favorite book)
Hattie Karen (home leader)
Heather Colleen (flowering plant)
Helen Rebecca Boxwell (light)
Helena Karen (light)
Holly Rebecca Boxwell (holly tree)
Ianthe Annie (violet colored flower)
Imogen "Immy" Kiki Poynter (the image of her mother)
Ingrid Rebecca Boxwell (hero's daughter)
Iris Kyle (flower / rainbow)
Ivy Karen (creeping plant)
Jacinthe Annie (hyacinth flower)
Janea Rebecca Boxwell (Jane / God is gracious)
Jasmine Rebecca Boxwell (fragrant flower)
Jasper Amy (green stone / Jasper Johns the artist)
Josephine "Josie" Kiki Poynter (God shall add)
Juliet Kyndra (youth)
June Rebecca Boxwell (month before July)
Juniper Dave Monhollen (evergreen tree)
Kailani Colleen (sea & sky)
Lark Rebecca Boxwell (songbird)
Laurel Rebecca Boxwell (laurel tree)
Lavender Karen (flower)
Leah / Lea Rebecca Boxwell (weary / Hawaiin, goddess of canoe makers)
Lila Kyle (form of Lily, flower)
Liliana Melissa Perry (lily)
Lily Rebecca Boxwell (flower, lily)
Louisa Karen (famous warrior)
Luca Kyle (light)
Mabel Lindsay Mitchell (lovable)
Maeve Rebecca Boxwell (joyous)
Magnolia Catherine Takizawa (flower)
Mai Kiki Poynter (brightness, light)
Maisie Kiki Poynter (child of light)
Malina Colleen (calming, soothing)
Margaret "Maggie" Kiki Poynter (a pearl)
Marie Rebecca Boxwell (Mary, Jesus' Mom / bitter)
Maryanne Rebecca Boxwell (see Marie + gracious)
May / Mae Rebecca Boxwell (great / month before June)
Matilda Amy (powerful battler)
Meadow Rebecca Boxwell (meadow)
Mercy Karen (mercy)
Molly Brian & Carolyn George (pet name for Mary, see Marie)
Monet Shelby (famous French Impressionist)
Monia Joshua Beach-Laputz (solitary)
Nina Rebecca Boxwell (gracious)
Nola Kyle (small bell)
Nora Nancy Weyburne (the bright one)
Olive Amy (tree / fruit / shade of green)
Opal Sandy Monhollen (precious stone)
Ophelia / Ofelia Catherine Takizawa (serpent / Hamlet's gal)
Pearl Maceo Johnson (jewel)
Penelope Rebecca Boxwell (weaver)
Petula Catherine Takizawa (seeker)
Poppy Rebecca Boxwell (poppy flower)
Rachel Rebecca Boxwell (female sheep)
Robin Jessica Weber (famous, bright / a songbird)
Rosalie Rebecca Boxwell (fair rose)
Rose Rebecca Boxwell (rose, flower)
Rosemary Rebecca Boxwell (scented herb)
Ruby Sandy Monhollen (red jewel)
Ruth Stephanie Manzano (companion or friend)
Sabine Rebecca Boxwell (ancient Italian tribe)
Sadie Kelli - pregnant with Avery Scott, a boy (princess)
Savannah Rebecca Boxwell (treeless plain)
Scarlet Catherine Takizawa (very red)
Simone Rebecca Boxwell (she heard)
Singer Kyle (someone who sings)
Sophia Kyndra (wisdom)
Soleil Lisa Yates (sun)
Sorian Carol Monhollen (?)
Stella Rebecca Boxwell (star)
Summer Rebecca Boxwell (after spring but before autumn)
Tabitha Kyndra (gazelle)
Tessa Melissa Perry (late summer)
Treva (TREE vah, short for Trevina) Lindsay Mitchell (prudent)
Victoria Rebecca Boxwell (victorious)
Vida / Vita Kyle (life)
Viola Amy (see Violet / stringed instrument)
Violet Becca Dehr (flower)
Virginia Rebecca Boxwell (pure)
Willa Kyle (determined guardian / form of Willow)
Willow Rebecca Boxwell (willow tree)
Xanthe Lisa Bertain (golden yellow)
Zelda Karen (gray warrior)
Zephyr Amy (warm west wind)
Zeta Kyle (rose)
Zoe Kyndra (life)
Zola Amy (ball of earth)

Posted by Kyle at May 31, 2005 01:02 PM

30 Comments

Hi agian I was thinking of what you should name your baby and I like the name Heather it sounds good together "Hazel and Heather" and goes pretty well with your last name. Heather means pure one or divine one.

Posted by: Jake Weber at March 7, 2005 06:56 PM

Adeline (Noble)
Ariadne (Most sacred)
Astrid (Beautiful Godess or Divine Power)
Audrey (Noble Strength)
Augusta (Revered
Bronwen (beautiful and sacred bosom)
Bryony
Ivy
Lavender
Louisa (famous Warrior)
Mercy
Zelda

Posted by: Karen at March 7, 2005 11:25 AM

My vote is for Pearl.  It's old fashioned, but definitely not musty!  Sounds GREAT with Hazel and with George.  I love that Hazel and Pearl have the same number of letters (don't ask me why, but I'm crazy about that sort of thing!

I have a love of 5 letter names!) and that they both end in L.  Those things tie them together, but they are still VERY different names!  Pearl isn't popular at all ... I think it fits all the criteria perfectly.

Actually, one of my most favorite names is Willa Pearl.  My husband won't let me use it.

And as a new entry, I'll submit Treva.  It's pronounced TREE va and was the name of my great aunt.  I personally think that its beautiful and its on my list as Treva Scarlett.  But Treva George sounds wonderful as does Hazel and Treva.  Again, the 5 letter thing ties them together for me.  :-)  Also, I like that they both have an uncommon letter in their name ... z and v.  (yes, I'm crazy.)  I believe that Treva means prudent, but I'm not sure of its heritage at all.

I also really like Mabel ... add it to your list ... but I know nothing about it.  It's not a name that I can ever use with Mitchell as a last name, but I think it's lovely.

Good luck with your new baby and your lovely Hazel.  Audra and I (my daughter) will say a prayer for your family. (Audra is a great name too! And actually, I LOVE Hazel, but Hazel Mitchell doesn't do much for me!)

Lindsay Mitchell

Posted by: Lindsay Mitchell at March 7, 2005 08:53 AM

Hi,
I just happened to stumble upon your site from someone on ivillage and was reading about it. I am pregnant with my first child, a boy. I thought I would submit the name I was going to give my child if it was a girl. I think it is really pretty and not used too much, kind of old fashioned.

Sadie-meaning is princess

Good luck!
Kelli
Due with Avery Scott June 6, 2005

Posted by: Kelli at March 7, 2005 12:05 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival! What a fun contest!

I like Brenna (little drop of water), Liliana (lily), Eliana (God has answered) and Tessa (late summer). Good luck!

Melissa Perry

Posted by: Melissa Perry at March 5, 2005 12:15 PM

I really love the name Elise. I think it works really well. Other suggestions:

Mai
Margaret *Maggie*
Annabelle *Anna*
Imogen *Immy* (my personal favourite)
Maisie
Eva (Ay-vuh)
Evie
Clara
Josephine *Josie*
Sophia
Juliet

I hope you like some of those names. :) Good luck with your baby!

Posted by: KiKiPoynter at March 5, 2005 10:17 AM

What a beautiful web site!! I just had to add my two cents. My name suggestions for a sister of Hazel are:

Heather, Ginger, Lillie, Amber, Kailani (sea & sky) or Malina (calming, soothing).

Good luck!
Malina Amber George sounds wonderful!

Posted by: Colleen at March 3, 2005 11:30 PM

Name suggestions--

Jacinthe, Greek for hyacinth
Ianthe, Greek for violet colored flower
Chloe, Greek for blooming

Good luck choosing a name-you have many beautiful ones to choose from. I really love less conventionaly, hippy-ish nature names, and Hazel is on the top of my list. It is beautiful, yet has avoided becoming either trendy or musty.

Posted by: Annie at March 3, 2005 11:06 PM

I stumbled across your website by accident; I typed "baby names gemma" into a search engine and your site popped up. (I named my daughter, who was born just last week, Gemma, and I wanted to see how popular it is.)

How fun to ask for baby name suggestions like this. Wish I'd thought of it. I had a horrible time choosing Gemma. I have seven daughters and I think their names go well with Hazel (which would have been on my list of names, but it doesn't go well with our last name). My girls are:

Zoe Marie (Zoe means life)
Eve Josephine (Eve also means life)
Sophia Rose (Sophia means wisdom)
Juliet Mae (Juliet means youth)
Tabitha Grace (Tabitha means gazelle)
Clara Lucille (together, the names mean clear light)
Gemma Isabel (Gemma means a precious Gem; Gemma Donati was the name of Dante Aligheri's wife--Dante, author of The Divine Comedy)

I also really like Violet with Hazel. Again, I couldn't use Violet because of our stupid last name!

You might enjoy ivillage's baby names message board. I found it very helpful in naming my baby!

Posted by: Kyndra at March 3, 2005 10:08 PM

A searchable database of names and their definitions..

Posted by: Marc at January 24, 2005 10:34 AM

What about the name robin?... hm... Hazle and Robin?.
Jess
P.s. It sounds good with george... Robin George.

Posted by: Jessica Weber at January 21, 2005 04:10 PM

Hi ms.george its jake how r u doin? Jess told me that u r gonna have another baby! Cool, well as far as name suggestions go im kinda stumped.... :/ maybe Dawn or somthing im not very good at finding names :( well i wish u kyle and hazel the BEST!

-Jake Weber

Posted by: Jake Weber at January 19, 2005 05:23 PM

I like the name Alexandra

Posted by: Jessica weber at January 19, 2005 05:19 PM

I LOVE Ada and Cora. Both simple but beautiful names. They suggest strong character, wit and femininity. They are unique, but not too out there. If I had to choose between the two, I'd vote for Ada. Ada George - terrific!!!

Love,
Jess

Posted by: Jessica at January 18, 2005 12:04 PM

Hi guys, my favorites from your list so far are: Amy, Bridgett (my confirmation name, an irish saint who founded lots of schools for the poor), Charlotte, Holly, Helen, and Luca. Especially like the way "Holly George" sounds, strong and forward sounding but light and balanced. Also reminds me of "Holly Golightly" from the old movie "Breakfast at Tiffanys", great movie, great character. Here's a name not on your list: Gabrielle. Don't know what it means, but sounds beautiful I think, almost chose that name for my daughter Megan. Have fun choosing! Laura

Posted by: Laura Morton Curtin at January 17, 2005 11:18 AM

From Grandma,
How about Sorian? Don't know what it means and all my baby books are at school. The kids like to look up their names and see what they mean. I also made a list of some favorites and not so favorites from the list, not reasons just opinions.
Favorites: Alma, Beatrix, Iris, Luca, Nola, Willa, Zola
Not so Favorite: Calandra, Calista, Cerulean, Dorothy, Grace(I know too many now), Marie, Penelope, Poppy and Scarlet
But don't worry, I'll love whatever you pick and I'll love her no matter what her name is. Grandchildren are the best!

Posted by: Carol Monhollen at January 15, 2005 04:40 PM

oops. you can just cross Ofelia off that list! How about Amy Jr. Why doesn't anyone name their daughters Jr? I think you need to break the mold and start a new tradition. Is there a feminine version of Jr? Just another brilliant idea from me!

Posted by: catherine at January 11, 2005 12:31 PM

The February 2005 "Parents" magazine features a story on celebrity baby names with tidbits and predictions for this year's top "new" baby names provided by Linda Rosenkrantz, author of our valuable prize book "Beyond Jennifer & Jason..."

So what's hot for 2005? Ruby, Scarlet, and Violet are among the top on her list - and are receiving lots of support from people contributing to our list as well. So we're either on the right track or we're veering dangerously into the soon-to-be ubiquitous.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming, this is fun!

Posted by: Kyle at January 11, 2005 10:20 AM

I think that the character Ophelia killed herself.

"Of all the pivotal characters in Hamlet, Ophelia is the most static and one-dimensional. She has the potential to become a tragic heroine -- to overcome the adversities inflicted upon her -- but she instead crumbles into insanity, becoming merely tragic. This is because Ophelia herself is not as important as her representation of the dual nature of women in the play. Ophelia's distinct purpose is to show at once Hamlet's warped view of women as callous sexual predators, and the innocence and virtue of women." (That's from some website about Shakespeare's Ophelia.)

SO, while I think the name is beautiful it carries way too much baggage :)

Posted by: amy at January 10, 2005 07:34 PM

How about Ofelia? I don't think it is ready to come back into style, but just wait, the next celebrity to have a baby will name her this.

Posted by: catherine at January 10, 2005 05:14 AM

How about Ginger? It's 2 syllables, sounds great as "Ginger George," old-fashioned, but just about ready to come back into style. You'll be cutting edge! And I don't think you can get any cuter than "meet my two daughters- Hazel and Ginger"

Posted by: Alyssa at January 9, 2005 07:10 PM

Scarlet (a color)
I see that June was already nominated, but i think it would go well with George - June George sounds like Jasper Johns, plus the name is from the same era as Hazel (at least in terms of TV programs).

Posted by: Catherine Takizawa at January 8, 2005 05:23 AM

Monia or Cerulean

Posted by: Joshua Beachlaputz at January 7, 2005 05:09 PM

Bridget

Posted by: emma at January 7, 2005 02:49 PM

petula

Posted by: Catherine Takizawa at January 7, 2005 12:46 PM

I like the name Soleil. It is french and means sun. She can be the sunshine of your life. It is pronounced with a long o (so-lay).

Posted by: Lisa Yates at January 6, 2005 03:28 PM

Rebecca submitted a written (paper) list of 67 (no kidding) names. In the interest of maintainting a fair, representative and fully transparent democratic process (which this naming business is surely not) I will shuffle the new raft of suggestions into the mix... but it may take some time. Thanks Rebecca!

Posted by: Kyle at January 5, 2005 10:57 AM

As I mentioned to Amy, I now lay in bed at night with my very awake baby and think about names for your baby! I will try not to overwhelm you with the vast quanitites of names that have run through my mind. :)

Tonight's vote: Calluna - part of the latin name for Heather (flower), HIGHLY prized in Scotland etc... can be shorten to Cal

Don't think that there won't be another vote tomorrow!

Posted by: Rebecca at January 3, 2005 07:37 PM

i am going to have to think about this. How about Magnolia? I like these...Lila, Opal, Ruby, Charolette, Beatrix, Violet, Matilda. so, if one of these are picked, can I still get a picture of the baby even though I didn't come up with the name originally? Maybe i will come up with something super-duper later...
catherine

Posted by: Catherine Takizawa at January 3, 2005 11:51 AM

Ruth: stephanie manzano (meaning: compainion or friend)

Posted by: stephanie manzano at January 2, 2005 04:07 PM